Home » , , , » Rock Event Spawn Changes in Pokemon GO

Rock Event Spawn Changes in Pokemon GO

This data is very inaccurate but it gives roughly an idea of how the spawns changed in my city thanks to the event. I know it's inaccurate because my scanner got nerfed as the event started, so I don't have the full picture of the same area that was scanned: first day area of ~75km2 ; second day area of ~6km2 . This means not only that the sample is smaller, but I also left out some big nests (shown like this).

Besides this, my scanner today is only picking up a fraction of the spawns that showed yesterday.. as I haven't had the time to actually play (I'm in the office, don't judge..) I cannot know if the spawns actually went down, or if it's my tracker that isn't working properly.

Methodology: I scanned a big area yesterday with two hours difference (at 14 and 16 hrs CEST) and counted (not me, the scanner) the amount of each 'mon on my city. I was planning to do the same today, but as the scanner is not working properly I was only able to scan a fraction of the area, so I had to trunk the data of the first day to be able to compare it to today's data. So I took the average of the two scanns I had, divided it by the amount of spawns the scanner got today, and multiplied each average to this factor:

1st scan: 6391 'mons

2nd scan: 6447 'mons

average: 6379 'mons

3rd (today) scan: 831 'mons

Factor: ~0.1302712

After this I was able to have at least an idea of what 'mons got their spawns reduced (or completely disappeared), which ones appeared, and where there's no change.

Main discoveries:

Big appearances:

Geodude: 1 -> 74

Graveler: 0 -> 1

Slugma: 1 -> 57

Magcargo: 0 -> 5

Rhyhorn: 1 -> 39

Omanyte: 1 -> 38

Kabuto: 1 -> 30

Onix: 1 -> 7

Schuckle: 1 -> 7

Sudowoodo: 2 -> 10

Big missing (not one found):

Aerodactyl, Golem, Rhydon, Kabutops, Omastar, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar

No significant changes:

Got their spawns slightly increased (+90% to +25%): Chinchou, Magikarp, Teddiursa, Poliwag, Psyduck, Abra, Octillery, Staryu, Goldeen (yes, "water" biome)

Got no apparent change (+5% to -10%): Weedle, Dratini, Dunsparce, Ekans, Tentacool, Venonat, Paras, Slowpoke

Got their spawns slightly decreased (-20% to -40%): Slowpoke, Ledyba, Hoothoot, Spinarak, Rattata, Pidgey, Furret, Pidgeotto, Hoppip, Mr. Mime, Nidoran♀, Murkrow, Sentret, Ledian

And finally the biggest reductions (or complete disappearances):

The following 'mons got their spawns reduced between a 50% and a 90%, ordered by the magnitude of the reduction from (from a 48% to a 88%): Oddish, Natu, Horsea, Wooper, Gastly, Nidoran♂, Aipom, Kakuna, Misdreavus, Raticate, Seel, Caterpie, Eevee, Shellder, Magnemite, Spearow, Marill, Zubat, Krabby.

The following 'mons completely disappeared (ordered from biggest to smalles amount pre-event): Swinub, Jynx, Bellsprout, Sneasel, Drowzee, Xatu, Jigglypuff, Voltorb, Skarmory.

Conclusions: I feel the data shows by itself how some common 'mons got their spawns reduced and others completely eliminated to make room for the event-spawns. Would have loved to have the scanner running properly to have a real picture, but I feel I actually got a nice approach.

Some 'mons got partially, other completely replaced by event 'mons.

Link to the spreadsheet - Unfortunately all my excel formulas disappeared when I copied the data to the google spreadsheet, but you can still use the rows "E"+"F" for the pre-spawns, and the "J" for event-spawns.

Bonus: Clearly the event is biome-related, as the desert biomes are getting Larvitars, but we don't :( ... why, Niantic, why....