There are actually at least two unannounced projects that we know of, the very mysterious first person game (very likely shooter) and the mobile game that we now know has ties to the Warcraft universe.
A new job announcement for an FX artist has a line calling for "Passion for creating imagery synonymous with the Warcraft IP", which looks pretty self-explanatory. While some of the speculation was previously going around a Hearthstone spin-off with a StarCraft or Diablo thematic, this dispels them and puts the focus back on the big franchise. It would seem a Pet Battle-like completely new game, or direct extension of the WoW version is the front-runner in the speculation race.
Speaking of, what are your guesses and/or wishes for both the unannounced games?
Below is the official statement of Blizzard:
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented FX artist to help us create exciting visual effects for an unannounced project for mobile.
You’ll develop real time effects from concept to implementation and work to maintain a consistent aesthetic across all of the effects in the game. Effects are integrated into every aspect of mobile games and this position will give you the opportunity to flex your creative muscles in combat, interface and a variety of other features. The ideal candidate has a firm grasp of color, texture, shape and timing as relates to FX and demonstrates an ability to sketch and story board to convey design ideas.
If you’re ready to tackle the challenge of helping realize the next epic Blizzard title, we want to hear from you!
- Experience with creating consistently charming, eye-catching, real-time effects (FX) using Photoshop, Maya, and in-game FX systems with 3+ years experience and at least 1 shipped title.
- Must be familiar with creating FX in the Unity game engine
- Skilled in developing effects that work across a wide range of mobile platforms (looks great on the newest phones but still holds up on a variety of mobile devices)
- Superior eye for lighting, value, color, details, and the ability to use them in creating beautiful visual effects that support gameplay
- Self-motivation, excellent communications skills, and able to work within a small team
- Positive attitude and able to receive and provide objective feedback
- Passion for creating imagery synonymous with the Warcraft IP
- Experience creating real-time, in-game VFX for mobile platforms
- Previous game production experience
- A passion for exploring new ideas in mobile gaming
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter is required
- Portfolio of work in digital format (website, blog, online album, Dropbox, etc.). Physical media will not be accepted
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!